Oct 29, 2008

Pause. Breathe. Write.

This morning a chill
crept through the leak in my window,
slid along the carpet floor,
stretched upward toward the bed, and
tickled my toe.

And life took up a somber march.
I swear, life lumbers so
slowly in the mornings...
but not this one.
Not today.

The pesky chill that sought
my littlest toe
swiftly scurried
about the rest of me.
And pranced,
and giggled, mocking
as I pretended to be
molasses, and
slid out of bed.

---

Tonight I sat and watched David McCullogh's commencement address for the Boston College Class of 2008. It was delightful. Charming. Full of wisdom, with just enough lecture. And it made me think of all the things I want in college, and in the rest of my life. Recently I've so entangled myself in the drudgery of college applications and the like that I forgot for a moment how refreshing language is. MCCullogh reminded of that. And so I opened up this page and began to write. The first words to exit my fingertips. They weren't words of wisdom. Nor components of a rant. Not at all. But they were (and are) playful words true to my reluctance to begin the day today. And they make me smile (and I hope they make you smile, too.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is SO lovely. You are quite a gifted writer. I would love to hear from you more often.